Anyone who has been in a car accident here in Conway, Arkansas, can tell you that the experience can be overwhelming. In the aftermath, you are often responsible for dealing with the police, witnesses, and the insurance company. With your newfound personal injuries and car damage, you may be tempted to accept any settlement from your insurance company in order to put this whole mess behind you as soon as possible. Before you do, reach out to an experienced car accident attorney in Conway, Arkansas.
Here at the law offices of Denton & Zachary, we have seen more than our share of car accidents in Conway, Arkansas, and so today we are bringing you some of the most common mistakes made after an accident to help our readers avoid them.
The Most Common Mistakes After a Car Accident in Conway, Arkansas
- Panic. Car accidents can be scary, and it is natural to feel anxiety, or even panic, after one. However, remember that panicking does not help the situation, and it may make the situation worse. After your accident, remember to take deep breaths and remain calm so that you can communicate with the police. Request medical attention if you think you’ve been hurt and check on the well-being of others involved. No matter what the circumstances of your car accident in Conway, Arkansas, you will need to keep your head clear to deal with it successfully.
- Not getting contact information. There is a lot of information that you will need to get from the other driver at the scene of the car accident in Conway. You should get the other driver’s name, address, telephone number, driver’s license number, license plate, insurance information, and the name of the owner of the vehicle, if it is different from the person driving. While it is certainly possible to get that information later, and your car accident attorney in Conway, Arkansas, can help with that, things will be much easier if you get this info early on.
- Discussing the accident with anyone other than police. You may want to immediately apologize to the other driver and their passengers, even if you were not at fault in the accident. Don’t do it. In some cases, this may be interpreted as an admission of guilt. Many innocent statements like these can be used against you, especially if they are given to insurance company representatives. You do not want any idle comments to impact your case negatively, so while you can and should discuss the details of the accident with the police and your car accident attorney in Conway, AR, don’t speak with anyone else. Note that you should report the accident to your own insurance company and you should inform them about the vehicle and any damages incurred, but do not go into detail until you have spoken with an experienced car accident attorney.
- Refusing to get medical attention. After a car accident, the police will ask if you need to see a doctor. This is not the time to “man up” or downplay your injuries. Some injuries are not apparent for days following an accident. By making statements like “I’m fine,” or “I don’t need a doctor,” suspicion may be cast on you if you decide to see a doctor for injuries in the future.
- Forgetting to report the accident to your insurance. As mentioned above, it is important to report the accident to your insurance company as soon as you can – no matter who was at fault for the accident. Even though the accident does need to be reported, do not discuss details or offer a statement before you speak to a lawyer. Otherwise, you could inadvertently lose or reduce your compensation.
- Forgetting to send bills to the insurance company. If your insurance policy includes reimbursements for expenses like medical care or other expenses, make sure you send all the relevant bills to them. If you are working with a car accident attorney in Conway, Arkansas, they can assist with this.
- Signing anything at all without speaking to a car accident attorney first. The Law Offices of Denton & Zachary offer free consultations, so before you accept any settlements or sign any documents, it is imperative that you consult a Conway, Arkansas car accident lawyer first. Insurance companies are interested in their own bottom line, not your welfare and you may settle for less than you deserve if you sign too early.
Consult with an Arkansas Car Accident Attorney Today
If you have been in an accident, do not risk your claim by making these mistakes. Contact a car accident attorney in Conway, Arkansas, at Denton & Zachary and let us help you.