Little Rock Lawyer for Car Accident Victims
Being involved in a car crash can completely turn your life upside down. You may suffer devastating injuries, incur thousands of dollars in expenses, and experience both mental and physical pain as a result of the accident. No amount of money can undo the damage caused by the car accident, but recovering compensation can help you get through this challenging time.
If you have been injured in a car wreck, contact our auto accident attorneys to discuss your legal options. Schedule your free consultation with Denton & Zachary, PLLC by calling (501) 725-8099 today.
What Should I Expect After Filing A Car Accident Claim?
It’s important to know what to expect after filing a car accident claim. First, both your attorney and the at-fault party’s insurance company will conduct an investigation into the crash. Both sides will focus on gathering evidence that can be used to prove liability for the accident.
Your personal injury attorney will calculate the value of your claim once you have reached maximum medical improvement, which means you have fully recovered or your condition is not expected to improve any further. Then, your attorney will start negotiating with the at-fault party’s insurance company. Most claims are resolved during this stage in the process. But if the insurer isn’t willing to make a fair deal, your attorney will prepare your case for trial.
What Types of Compensation Are Awarded to Car Accident Victims in Little Rock?
If you are injured by a negligent driver, you are entitled to compensation. Various types of compensation are awarded to victims in car accident cases, including compensation for:
- Medical expenses, including expenses you have already incurred and expenses that you expect to incur in the future
- Repair or replacement of damaged property
- Lost wages, including wages you have already lost and wages you expect to lose in the future as a result of your injuries
- Mental and physical pain and suffering
The court may also award punitive damages to car accident victims. Punitive damages are awarded to punish the defendant for egregious conduct. To recover these damages, you must prove that the defendant either:
- Intentionally caused you harm, or
- Continued to behave in a way that they knew or should have known would put others in danger.
The amount of compensation—and the types—you are awarded will vary on a case-by-case basis. To calculate the value of your claim, turn to the trusted car crash lawyers at Denton & Zachary, PLLC.
Can I Recover Compensation If I Am Partly to Blame For the Car Accident?
Determining who is at fault is the key to recovering compensation after a car accident. But sometimes, fault lies with more than one party. Some car accident victims assume they are not entitled to compensation because they were partly to blame for the accident. Don’t make this assumption. Arkansas is a modified comparative negligence state, which means victims can still recover compensation as long as they were less than 50% at fault.
For example, the court may find that you were 30% to blame for the accident, but the other driver was 70% to blame. In this case, you can still recover compensation for your injuries, but your compensation will be reduced by 30% to account for the role you played. If you were found to be 55% to blame, however, you are no longer entitled to compensation for your injuries.
How Long Do I Have to Take Legal Action After A Car Accident?
Every state has its own statute of limitations for car accident claims. In Arkansas, the statute of limitations is three years. This means victims have three years from the date the accident occurred to file a lawsuit against the at-fault party. If you miss this deadline, you could lose the right to recover compensation for your injuries.
Three years may seem like a long time, but it goes by rather quickly, especially if you are trying to recover from serious injuries. For this reason, it’s best to take legal action as soon as possible instead of putting it off until it’s too late.
Contact Our Car Accident Attorneys Now to Schedule A Free Consultation
Have you been injured in a car accident? Focus on making a full recovery from your injuries—the car accident lawyers at Denton & Zachary, PLLC will handle the rest. Let us aggressively pursue the compensation you deserve for your injuries and property damage. Schedule a free consultation with our online form or call 501-273-1695 today.